THE PHILOSOPHERS FORUM

Festivals in 2024

Festivals in 2024

by Linda Hart -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Philosophers

May offers us quite a variety

We have the celebration of Saint George on  6 May. (23 April in some calendars)

Ascension on Thursday 9 May

WhitSunday on 19 May (plus WhitMonday 20th)

Wesak on Full Moon 23 May. 

Re: Ascension, Thursday

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers
My translation from the Greek of an Ascension related verse from Mark 13:

“Indeed, at that time they will perceive (inwardly/clairvoyantly) the Son of Man coming within /from the sphere of clouds bringing plenteous power/might/strength and also (perceive) the intrinsic worth (glory) of the substance and essence of God.”

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers
And the 40 days has many correspondences that maybe could be part of deepening the contemplations of this Season?

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers
Marking 40 days after Easter, Ascension Thursday begins the 10 day Ascensiontide that takes us to Pentecost or Whitsun. 

Recently I heard somewhere in a talk Tazo describe the “…tide” suffix of a word as a wave of a certain energy (if I recall?)  It opened a better way of working with these different festivals more as a continuum rather than a Day here or there.

Ascension, Thursday

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers

Soon we have that somewhat elusive festival, Ascension Thursday ,the day when the Christ Jesus ascended into the clouds.

Many years ago, I attended a small Ascension Thursday  gathering, led by a Christian Community priest. All we did was talk about clouds.: nothing theological. The mood and helpfulness of that simple discussion has lived with me for some decades. 

Several years ago, in the busyness of life, I had completely forgotten the Day until, driving home in the afternoon, the distinctive clouds told me it was Ascension Thursday.

This year the clouds here have seemed Ascension worthy for a few months, So it will be interesting. 

There is an early Tazo talk that includes his comment that he had been talking with a pastor’s wife. He asked her if she looked at clouds. She didn’t. 

Tazo went on to say to listeners that that’s a Christian practice, to look at clouds. 

Feast of Saint George - April 23 /May 6

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers

Who was this St George,? 

Apparently from a noble Christian family, the son of a Syrian  women who lived in Cappadocia with  her Roman Army husband until her widowhood when she returned to Syria ( Palestine area) .   This suggests some strong and interesting Christian connections as  the history in various Tazo talks would indicate. 

While in the Roman Army,  circa 300AD, ( pre-Constantine) he refused to renounce Christian beliefs and suffered a rather unpleasant martyrdom said to have lasted seven years during which time he came back to life three times. 

The dragon as a feature and legend occurred later but his survival of varied and ingenious forms of death inspired many in their own travails and was claimed as the source of miracles. . 

Whilst the celebration of Saint George now passes quietly by for many, until about 200 years ago, the English celebrated this with as much joy( e.g. parades)  as Christmas because St George is the English patron Saint.

However St George also stands as Patron Saint of  Ethiopia, Bulgaria,  Greece,  Georgia, Portugal , Russia. Venice, Catalonia....He also has festivals in places such as Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. This  figure has inspired many. 

He was venerated by both  Christian and  some Islamic centres

The Cross of St George appears on a number of national  flags (and even English Soccer fan attire) and was the cross for the Knights Termplar going to Jerusalem. 

Tazo has referred to the red of  this red cross as a Rose Cross. So  we might find there is much more to this soul and his Spirit than we find in external stories. 

Raphael Saint Michael And The Dragon Painting Reproduction |  raphaelsanzio.org