THE PHILOSOPHERS FORUM

Some Russian topics - 1

Some Russian topics - 1

by Linda Hart -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Philosophers

While visiting family interstate recentlyand driving through an unfamiliar suburb, some golden  (onion) domes,  radiant in the sun, caught my eye  so we detoured to investigate. This was the Russian Orthodox Cathedral and ,,built in 1989 ,,was quite new.

Photo

Fortunately, with a small prayer service just finishing, it was open and we could enter. A lady kindly explained the layout and general themes of the art  with fresco and framed images filling every wall, column, screen and the cupola. The stories of the bible surrounded our heads: Zacchaeus up the tree, the woman at the well. the raising of Lazarus... Everywhere one looked a parable or story was depicted in simplicity. nothing was ornate or "baroque".  And what a contrast to the stark minimalism  of so many worship places we have.

Around the edges at eye level were so many icons; some recent, some obviously centuries  old with their ornate frames where the painting itself consisted of embossed silver except for the face painted in the centre. 

it was refreshing to see the Black Madonna depicted in some of these icons.

And what an  atmosphere of reverence and devotion lived, quite palpable, in this small cathedral! Of the many different places of worship I have experienced, Protestant, Roman, Anglican, other Christian and " new age",  this cathedral showed  what was possible for its people to build as a Presence. 

In response to a friendly parishioner my companion claimed I was 'more spiritual' than she; but when I decided to add a lighted beeswax candle to the ones burning I noticed her reverence in choosing to do the same.   The icons might have been more elusive in significance to us but the air we breathed was a living experience. 

The Russian Orthodox  Church celebrates 12 festivals over the year. This is a small contrast to the four that we have grown more accustomed to with Steiner's teaching ( 8 with Lent and Advent, Ascension and Pentecost?) . But given that most people think only of Easter and Christmas, the difference would have quite an effect on the soul. 

Perhaps others can add to these themes? 

Re: Some Russian topics - 1

by Linda Hart -
Picture of Philosophers
I have been reading The Russian President's address given in February.

(http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/70565) .

His vision for Russia is broad and far-reaching. if Russian was not such an inscrutable language one might wish to move there!

I notice his use of Motherland and Fatherland and the distinct understanding he makes between these terms.

E.g. " .The people must know that the Motherland appreciates their contribution to the defence of the Fatherland".

If a politician used such terms publicly here in Australia It would offer a very different meaning to the many people here than it must do in Russia - and perhaps Europe. 

And I suspect such a sense of belonging is different when many people around the world would consider a planet or star somewhere else in the galaxy to be their mother land ( home) and not the beautiful Gaia, to which we/they have come as a rescue/ energy boost.

It seems worth considering these terms, especially when we have a Divine Mother and Divine Father as well, it seems, as a Motherland and Fatherland.